Saturday, May 1, 2010

This Is How I Spend My Nights

I'm not actually a big fan of television and movies. Rather, I suppose I should rephrase this. While I may be a fan, I don't actually get around to watching many. When it comes to television, the only two shows I NEVER miss are Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries. Monday nights on CBS are the only thing I actually actively watch, though: The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Accidentally On Purpose. Am I super gutted if I miss them? Not really. Like I said - I'm just not IN to them. Most of the time, I would much rather curl up with a book or a notebook. Oh, suuure, I have shows I've been interested in, but I just... never follow up on them. Like I said, I prefer to read or write, rather than spend an hour watching something.

No, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, either.

In a way, I guess I can credit Tommy with the fact that I watch television at all lately? Now that I'm all caught up on Supernatural, I've decided to start Dexter. I'm honestly not even sure why, out of all my other options (Bones, Lost, Merlin, Doctor Who), I chose Dexter, but I did. The premise was certainly intriguing - a man who kills only the bad guys. Different, interesting, a way of twisting the bad into the good, or at least sympathizing the terrible deeds of a murder. Really, the whole show wouldn't be so bad for me, if I wasn't such a squeamish person.

The reason I don't watch horror movies is not because I'm easily frightened (though, I will allow that I am a highly skittish person), because, let's face it. Today's horror movies aren't horrifying. Typically, you have a cliche plot filled with excessive gore. And by excessive, I mean, over-the-top, unnecessary. Rather than tell a story, engage in actual horror, play with emotions and psychological, they just make a gore-fest. And, no matter how many times I remind myself it's not real, it's fake, it's not even gross, my stomach still churns and I still get emotional.

Yes. I get emotional. This is actually something I've not admitted to many people, but beyond the general queasiness, the gag in my throat, the way my stomach churns, beyond all that, I also cannot take gore because I find myself hysterical, irrational, and somehow, in tears. Cannibalism always turned my stomach, but along with that, it also made my heart hurt, my head hurt, confused and conflicted me. Ergh. Deterring from this topic, as it's off tangent and making me queasy and conflicted... >.<

So, why is a girl who hates gore watching a show that is centered around murders?

I have NO clue.

In a way, it's not masochism, obviously, but maybe a concept of facing my fears? Samia was watching and she kept telling me over and over not to watch it, but she herself wound up getting into the show. Despite the nature of the show being one I may not typically stomach, it seems intriguing. Already, after watching only the pilot, I wanted to watch more. While it's not comparable in "gore", Supernatural even managed to turn my stomach many times, and I am incredibly fond of that. It's probably the fact that Tommy said the characters are good really tipped the scale for me.

I'm a sucker for good characterization.

And thus, I am probably going to try to truck it through four seasons of Dexter, Lord help me. Regina has tweeted about the show lately, and somehow, I suppose, that's managed to excite me about the show? We'll see how this all goes over.

Wish me luck!

- Lady Ashlie

0 comments:

Post a Comment